Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Why Christian Faith Still Makes Sense, by C. Stephen Evans

I appreciated this book by C. Stephen Evans, a Professor from Baylor University. As a Philosopher I at first was apprehensive to read his book. I have not appreciated the work of Philosophers in the past and have often found their work hard to digest and understand, they tend to be a bit lofty and wordy.

But C. Stephen Evans does a great job of writing in words that every layman will understand and be able to digest. He makes very good logical conclusions based on the evidence that he has studied and gathered together for his work.

His main task in writing this book is to talk about “The New Atheism,” as it is being developed in our culture today. Here are the main tenants of his book in his own words;

            “I take it that the major complaint (though not the only one) of the New Atheists about religion is that faith is intellectually baseless. In this book I try to give a clear case that belief in Christian faith still makes sense and thus answer that criticism.” He further states, “So the book answers a major charge of the New Atheists make not by responding to their specific complaints but by showing how a thoughtful Christian might ‘give a reason for the hope’ that faith embodies.”

I believe that he develops his topic well, he addresses many things that we as Christians are facing in our world today and helps develop answers that we can use in talking with friends who doubt Christianity. I took a long time to work through the book, not because it was difficult, but because I was outlining each chapter and framing my own conclusions and arguments (arguments in the good sense) that I could use with those who are living in this modern world of the New Atheism.

I recommend this book to Pastors and lay people alike. I believe that it will become a major book to help us work through how to talk and build relationships with those who are out in the culture today stating that Christianity is archaic and thus dying.


This book makes me almost want to go back to school and study Philosophy, but alas I am a bit to old for that, but not to old to learn something new from a great writer such as C. Stephen Evans.

No comments:

Post a Comment