Monday, October 13, 2014

Tables in the Wilderness, by Preston Yancey

The sub-title of the book gives a good description of what you are going to find, "A Memoir of God Found, Lost, and Found Again.

This is Preston Yancey’s story about his life within the home of a family whose father is a Pastor of a Southern Baptist Church in Texas. For those who don’t know this is about as Bible Belt as you can get and Preston was raised to know the Bible, to know about God and to understand the doctrine and life of the Southern Baptist Church.

He is not sure when he became a Christian, he states, “My mother says that there was a time when I was about three that she was pushing me around in a shopping cart in the store . . . . . I looked at her seriously and said, ‘I wanted to ask Jesus into my heart.’”

That comment should give you some insight; at an early age he knew the language of the church and the Western view of “asking Jesus into your heart.” What he didn’t understand was what that was going to entail.

This book will document his struggle with the church, with God and with doctrine. It is mostly about the time of his college years when he was attending Baylor University (a Baptist University). He will start attending an Episcopal church as well as the Baptist church and then even work with a few other students to start a church.

But all that searching is really not about being a good church attender, it is about his inability to comprehend truly in his life who God is, who Jesus is and what the Holy Spirit can do.

I’m grateful for his book, but I must say that it describes the life meandering of an immature young man who just wants to discover the truth, but doesn’t realize that is what he is looking for.

Probably the best comment he makes to sum up his book is in the first chapter when he says, “While I intellectually know God is still present, while I intellectually know God will never leave me, while I intellectually know God desires the best for me—my heart and my soul, they don’t seem so very sure anymore.”

The book is written in a way that you will learn about his struggle to “hear from God,” and his frustration with the “silence” that God takes him through. What is interesting is that God told him there would be silence, God told him that he would have to be still and wait for that still small voice to give direction and guidance. But Preston is like most of us, he wanted his way with God on his terms and wasn’t necessarily eager to “wait” for God to direct him.

The struggle is painful to read about, but it is also encouraging because it is the struggle that many young people have with the church. As a former youth Pastor I can say that this book summarizes the life of many students that I taught. Many had this same struggle. I’m sure if they were to read Yancey’s book they would find themselves writing in the margin, “yes, that is exactly what I felt.”

The book is frustrating for me to read, but also true to the core about the struggle that many students have with God.

Read, think, meditate, absorb and then ask yourself, “am I just an intellectual Christian or am I a Christian who fully embraces God with my whole  heart, soul, mind and strength?


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment