Saturday, September 6, 2014

A tribute to my best Therapist ever!

Remembering the best Therapists Ever!

            Princess                                                 Chip                                            Icee

While living in Kansas these three horses became my constant companions and friends. They also proved to be the best therapists a guy could ever want.

I’ve thought a lot about them this week. We received word that Chip died recently. He was a great horse, a gentle loving animal. When we first received him from some friends I was told that Chip did not like men. Well, that became my challenge. Over the next ten years Chip and I became very good friends. He would let me brush him, clean his hooves, pull burrs out of his mane and even give him medicine.

He also became the protector for the next two horses that came into our lives. First we bought Icee and brought her home. She and Chip became inseparable. She was full of energy and Chip was ready for retirement. But they bonded and had to always be together.

Then we received Princess. She came to us beaten down and underweight. She was such a timid horse that she would let others knock her off her food (including Chip and Icee). So, she got special treatment. She got her own food while locked in her stall (lots of good grain). Then we would make sure that she had plenty of places to eat grass without the others bothering her.

But surprisingly the others came to tolerate her and I believe even like her. They would graze the fields together, come running together when I called and would stand side by side while I brushed them.

So, how can I say they were the best therapists every? Well, during my time of struggling with depression, lack of energy and a body that seemed to be pushing me lower and lower on the passion level, I found that spending time with my three friends each day and brushing and talking with them was all the therapy I needed.

When I would come home from church tired, beat down and emotionally spent I would find that Chip and Icee seemed to sense my need and they would come and nuzzle me and stand patiently while I explained my day and then asked them to pray with me. They were always accepting, always willing to spend time with me and always, and I mean always, were there to bring comfort and care.




When I heard that Chip was gone I went for a long walk. I miss his antic’s. I miss his learning how to open gates and stick his head in my truck when the door was open. I miss him running right at me in full gallop because he just was happy to see me. I miss his care and advice. He was a good horse, a good listener, had wonderful advice and was just plain good for me.

So, Lord, take care of my friend and keep him safe until I come home to join him with You!

No comments:

Post a Comment