Saturday, August 23, 2014

Moving On, by Trisha Grace

Before you read further, please note that I was contacted by the author and asked if I would read the book and post an "honest" review. I have written to the author and suggested some things that I hope will make future work even better. Here is my review:

Moving On is a good work by a new, young author who is striving to Move On herself in her skills and creative writing world. The book could use a good editor to take care of some grammar issues and also some wrong wording that can easily be corrected. That is always something that a new indy author has trouble finding, a good editor.

The story is part Romeo and Juliet and part Pride and Prejudice. I can see parts of each story within Moving On. Kate Mitchell is a young woman who becomes associated with a Grandfatherly man who has volunteered at the Nursing Home unit where her grandmother is. This man provides loving care for her grandmother and then befriends her as well.

Their relationship becomes one of a grandfather/granddaughter even though they aren't blood relatives (I can relate personally as I have several relationships like this). When Grandfather Hayes dies he asks Kate to do something for him, he asks her to do her best to help his grandson from whom he is estranged. Kate promises. This leads to the most unusual year of her life.

Grandfather Hayes wants Kate and his grandson, Tyler Hayes, to live in the same "Family Home" for the next year. They will have two chaperon's, the older caring Marianne who has taken care of Tyler as well as Mr. Sawyer the elderly lawyer of the family.

The story brings a disgruntled, angry, bitter young many home to face some issues. It brings a young Christian woman who loves life and cared deeply for Grandfather Hayes to a place where she is going to have to face some of her past issues as well.

Both young people lost their parents in ghastly ways at early ages. They have to face those demons and deal with them. They also have to face the reality of learning to care and trust each other.

The story is a bit simple. The plot is predictable. The dialogue somewhat simplistic. There are many things I might have developed differently, such as their wealth, their friends, Kate's Christian walk. etc.

But all in all this was a fun read. I must admit that I have twenty other books I am suppose to read and review. I told Trisha Grace I would read three chapters and give her some thoughts. Instead I got hooked and read the whole thing.

Simple, YES, Predictable, YES, Enjoyable, YES!

Why only four stars? Because she needs an editor. She needs some development in her writing. If I give her four stars she has nothing to work towards.

Thank you Trisha for asking me to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment