Tuesday, August 26, 2014

2 Timothy 4:1-8 --- Preach the Word

In this section of scripture Paul is exhorting his young disciple Timothy to diligently follow the exhortation that he is giving, that exhortation is;

            Preach the Word
            Be ready in season and out of season (to give an answer)
            Reprove, Rebuke and Exhort with complete patience and teaching
            Be sober-minded
            Endure suffering
            Do the work of an Evangelist
            Fulfill your ministry

Timothy had a calling/ministry to fulfill and Paul was encouraging him to stand by that calling and run the good race and finish that race, just as Paul has done.

These words are also meant for each of us today. Do you know what calling God has placed on your life? Are you striving to fulfill that calling? Are you willing to suffer the possible consequence of persecution for following your calling?

I think that we in the United States have become very complacent in our faith.  We have become comfortable in the face of lack of persecution. We have become quiet because we don’t want to be politically incorrect or be viewed as intolerant.

The time to stop this lethargic Christian lifestyle is now. We may not be facing persecution in America for being religious/Christian, but our lethargic attitude towards sharing the Gospel will bring eventual judgment on us from the Lord.

The day is coming when we will be persecuted even here in America for our faith, are you ready to stand tall and give an answer for the hope you have in Christ?

I am presently reading a book called, “Christianophobia: A Faith Under Attack.” It is mainly exploring the persecution of the Christian Faith in countries other than America.  I picked the book up because of the crisis of ISIS in the Middle East.  I want to understand more of what is going on.  When I finish the book I will post a review here on this Blog.

In the meantime I ask you, the reader, to memorize 2 Timothy 4:1-8 and ask yourself, “Am I fighting the good fight, or am I comfortably ignoring God’s call on my life?”

Write and let me know what you think and feel free to send prayer requests as I would love to pray for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment