Saturday, March 22, 2014

Uprooting Anger, by Robert Jones

Are you Venting your Anger or expressing a Lament?

Robert Jones gives us a good in depth look at Anger and why it is such a problem for people today.  Anger doesn't just cause us to bring disrespect to the Name of God, but it destroys are relationships with those around us as well as our relationship with the Lord.

Jones starts off with a good Biblical Look at the issue of Anger.  The scope of scripture he uses is a good tool for anyone who experiences anger or is trying to help a fellow Christian who is dealing with anger.  I found myself putting each of the scriptures he was referencing into my scripture memory app on my iPad so that I could start to memorize these and put them in my heart to help me deal with anger when it arises in my life.

Jones then goes on to talk about the two main ways people deal with anger, Venting and Stuffing.  We either express our anger in tantrums of venting where we loose our tongue and let the verbal attack spew forth towards anyone that is around us.  The words are hurtful and never healing.  Afterwards we may feel better because we have released some steam, but those around us are now struggling with anger at being the receivers of our venting.

The other style is that of "stuffing" our anger.  We bury it deep within ourselves.  People around us don't necessarily have a clue how angry we are.  But it takes a toll on our health, our emotions and our spiritual condition.  Stuffing usually leads to bitterness and distrust.

Jones gives 7 practical steps to help us deal with venting and 7 practical steps to help us deal with stuffing.  I found that point #7 on both lists was the same and the most practical, "Study Scripture more and hide God's word in your heart."

Finally Jones has a discussion on "Anger at God."  I found this the most poignant part of the book for my life.  I was feeling that it was OK to be angry at God as long as I told Him about my anger.  But Jones pointed out how selfish and wrong this was.  It displeases God and brings disrepute to His name.  What I saw in scripture as others being "angry at God," was actually others offering "Laments" in their prayer and meditation times.  It seems like they are almost the same, but Jones points out that the Lament shares our pain and hurt with God while acknowledging that He is loving and powerful and desires the best for me.  It is a good reminder to allow God to be God and allow me to be His servant.

The book is good and the Appendix section provides homework assignments that you will find useful to use in getting at the roots of your own anger.

This is a great book for laypeople as well as counselors and pastors.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment